Supper

small h

It was over 90 degrees yesterday (and more of the same today) and I didn't really even feel hungry. I had a cold chicken thigh with a little side salad. Avocado lime dressing over the whole thing. Glass of pinot grigio. It is too early for it to be this hot.

No photo description available.

A friend brought me potatoes au gratin. I had meatloaf left from my lunch the other day, so I made a meatloaf sandwich to go with for supper. I like my meatloaf sandwich the way they made them at Marie Callender restaurants. With mayo, sharp cheddar and plenty of salt and pepper. Did not take a photo of the sandwich, but here are the potatoes. 

May be an image of shepherd's pie

11 hours ago, small h said:

Stuffed artichoke. Nature's perfect food.

artichoke.thumb.jpg.2385f44e6e3e00fa83e78b0603fd1b0e.jpg

Yum!   One of the best dishes of my life was by Nancy Oakes (now Boulevard) when she was churning out bar food at The Mad Hatter.    Artichoke stuffed with a seafood (shrimp, scallops, mussels) stew.    Messy as hell to eat but truly heavenly tasting.   Would happily sub yours.

Posted (edited)

seafood sukiyaki.

it’s prepared similarly to regular sukiyaki, except the seasonings are lighter since they can easily overwhelm the fish.

the liquid in the pan is a 3:1 mixture of katsuobushi dashi and usukuchi soy sauce (light-colored soy sauce) along with a few tablespoons of honmirin. bring that to a simmer, then add your vegetables and fish. the pic shows cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and negi on one plate; prawns, scallops and halibut on another; and tofu in a bowl. we were going to add some shirataki noodles but decided to omit those at the last minute.

simmer the vegetables and fish for 3 minutes, then ladle portions into individual serving bowls. dip into raw beaten egg, then eat.

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

Edited by Diancecht
fat fingers
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 2:48 PM, Diancecht said:

ladle portions into individual serving bowls. dip into raw beaten egg, then eat.

Dip the bowls in raw beaten egg?

(Serious question, really: is the egg dipped into something or is something dipped into the egg?)

On 5/17/2024 at 11:39 AM, voyager said:

There's nothing wrong with "pasta", only with "portion".    Husband and I have each dropped 20lbs without cutting out anything but rather by downsizing portions.

So have wife and I, except in our case it was 2 lbs.

1 hour ago, relbbaddoof said:

Dip the bowls in raw beaten egg?

(Serious question, really: is the egg dipped into something or is something dipped into the egg?)

dip the stuff you simmered in raw beaten egg

sorry for the confusion 😂

Posted (edited)

I missed cooking in the donabe, probably because the Zojirushi makes such perfect rice. 

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.b274d7e23d395d019fb16639834c1e8c.jpeg

But I had a piece of king salmon in the freezer; it got defrosted overnight and salted for the day.

IMG_2098.thumb.jpeg.adae877ce46277850443487074906c73.jpeg

Salmon and hijiki rice.  Bok choy of some variety, with ginger, garlic, oyster and soy sauces.

Edited by MitchW
  • Like 3

hitsumabushi (broiled eel served on top of koshihikari rice, over which is poured a broth consisting of a mixture of dashi and kobucha, then sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped scallions). iced unsweetened green tea.

banana and peach fruit salad with pomegranate molasses for dessert.

IMG_3328.jpeg

IMG_3329.jpeg

The last of my not-so-great homemade pasta, clearing the way for MUCH BETTER homemade pasta, now that I understand it again. With broccolini, parsley and Valley Shepherd ricotta. Plus balcony-grown Little Gem, giving me a reason to live.

dinner.thumb.png.1bffd80d08bb61314c4fb7c98db71273.png

• Like 1

gyudon (beef simmered with onion, shirataki noodles and ginger), served over steamed koshihikari rice; miso shiru with green beans, scallions and shiso; assorted pickles (pickled cucumber, pickled eggplant with mustard); iced unsweetened tea; napa cabbage salad with sesame seeds.

hubby mentioned that shiso isn’t usually served with miso shiru. oh well, live and learn.

821569F0-ECA8-41E4-82EB-039BD4B64C33.jpeg

• Like 1