What are you watching?

hollywood10

13 hours ago, hollywood said:

True Detective: Night Country on HBO.  With amazing Jodie Foster (whose character does not like the Beatles...)

Jodie never lets me down.

I didn’t realize this was now available. 😊

I will probably watch the Emmys, but not for the first time the classifications seem weird. Take comedy. The Bear is funny? Jeremy Allan White is a comic actor? Poker Face, with all those brutal murders? Yes, there are funny scenes in Wednesday, but a comedy series? To me, The Honeymooners is a comedy series. Wednesday is actually quite dark.

Monsieur Spade with Clive Owen on AMC.  The first episode of six is extremely convoluted revolving around Sam Spade of "The Maltese Falcon" fame 20 years later arriving in the south of France with a young girl in tow.  The tranquil countryside and the pace of the show contrast with talk of Nazis, blackmail, Algeria and various killings presumably the work of some very violent man.  Spade seems able to consume large volumes of liquor while halfway trying to stop smoking, having been given an ironic lecture from his doctor about the dangers of cigarettes.  Thus far, his personal vices appear the least of his worries.

6 hours ago, hollywood said:

Monsieur Spade with Clive Owen on AMC.  The first episode of six is extremely convoluted revolving around Sam Spade of "The Maltese Falcon" fame 20 years later arriving in the south of France with a young girl in tow.  The tranquil countryside and the pace of the show contrast with talk of Nazis, blackmail, Algeria and various killings presumably the work of some very violent man.  Spade seems able to consume large volumes of liquor while halfway trying to stop smoking, having been given an ironic lecture from his doctor about the dangers of cigarettes.  Thus far, his personal vices appear the least of his worries.

Thanks for this. I'd forgotten to mark my calendar. I'll give it a try, but suspect if it is convoluted that the husband with dementia will not be able to follow it and will get upset by it. Might be something I'll have to watch at another time.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 8:56 AM, Mitchell101 said:

With a My Morning Jacket song near the end...... I thought the first episode was kind of creepy but hoping it gets better. 

Second episode is also creepy with symbols and icons akin to TD's first season.  You begin to realize (ok, I was slow) that Ennis, Alaska is a very small place with a limited gene pool (pun intended) where everyone is related by blood, marriage or by being fuck buddies (Oh, Jodie!). And btw it never gets light out because it's months of no sun so things that go bump in the night have a 24 hour opportunity.

Edited by hollywood

Monsieur Spade  Episode 2 moves slowly along if in a slightly less mysterious fashion. Mr. Owen is so relaxed in the role at times I thought he would fall asleep.  Then, the writers will favor him with a witticism.  Is that enough?  The MacGuffin of the piece apparently is an Algerian boy (not the famous falcon).  This plot does somehow call out the consequences of the Algerian war but it is not clear to what extent.  Spade who had said in episode one, humorously or otherwise, that he was a conscientious objector has yet to fire a shot and appears reluctant to do so even though he should be a prime target.  There are a total of six episodes.  I must confess I am curious how and why Alfre Woodard is going to make an appearance in one of the later chapters.  TLOK.

• Like 2

TD: Night Country, episode 3.  Danvers always says, "Ask the question."  This chapter raises and leaves unanswered so many things that it is hard to know which question to ask.  We know a little more about Danvers' and Navarro's dispute.  We know a little more about Annie's death.  We know that the mine that employs many of the citizens has a lot to answer for in terms of its lack of environmental safety.  We think that Raymond Clark is out there somewhere but we don't know where.  We know Navarro had some issues with her mother.  We know Danvers has conflicts with her stepdaughter.  We know the scientists probably died of cardiac arrests rather than hypothermia.  But we also know there are only three more episodes to tie all this together.

Lessons in Chemistry. A little Mad Men, a little Hidden Figures, with some cooking and cool 50s outfits to hold my interest. I enjoyed the first episode, although it's a bit too obvious and manipulative. I also went crazy trying to figure out where I'd seen Derek Cecil and Kevin Sussman before (House of Cards, everywhere).

Edited by small h
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, small h said:

Lessons in Chemistry. A little Mad Men, a little Hidden Figures, with some cooking and cool 50s outfits to hold my interest. I enjoyed the first episode, although it's a bit too obvious and manipulative. I also went crazy trying to figure out where I'd see Derek Cecil and Kevin Sussman before (House of Cards, everywhere).

Reading the book currently. I heard it was better than the production, which is supposed to be good as well.