Eater

Sneakeater

On 1/8/2024 at 4:32 PM, backyardchef said:

never heard of it. 

Interesting career: The New York Times restaurant critic Bryan Miller named Mr. Fortuna best new maître d’hôtel on the scene in 1986. Two years later Mr. Miller awarded Lafayette — with Mr. Vongerichten in the kitchen and Mr. Fortuna at the door — four stars. Mr. Fortuna subsequently worked the doors and dining rooms at a succession of Manhattan restaurants, including Tavern on the Green, Lespinasse (in the St. Regis hotel), Mad. 61 and the refurbished Monkey Bar. In 1995, he finally had a restaurant of his own, the Lenox Room, on Third Avenue and East 73rd Street, in partnership with the chef and restaurateur Charlie Palmer.

Edited by cinghiale
  • Thanks 1

This is incredibly picky, but don't you think the fact that Chez Ma Tante is "known for its pancakes" might have clued the Eater writer in that isn't a "French bistro".  (I wouldn't have expected the writer to know that Chez Ma Tante is named after a place in Montreal that also isn't a French bistro.)

Don't get me wrong:  I've not nothing against Nordic cooking, and I'm not gonna hold Mads Refslund responsible for what Fredrik Berselius does anyway.

I do worry about things I've heard about Ilis, though.

But really it's that I can't reconcile what's set forth in this review, both regarding food quality and value, with that other review.

Now that I've read Rosner, I see where you were coming from with the brussells sprouts.

But I STILL can't reconcile Sietsema's Ilis review with the Foxface one.

(I have one theory, but it's so personal and damning that I wouldn't say it out loud without some form of proof.)