Thanksgiving 2023

As always, I am expected to cook the dinner for family and friends. And I like it.

This year, it happens that I will be returning from Europe two days before and thus not keen to be shopping and prepping.

We don’t do turkey any more. I just ordered a bunch of rabbit options from D’Artagnan. Thinking of some kind of Conejo Malo theme. 

• Like 1

Same setup as usual.  Hopefully, I'll remember to bring the local cheeses to my cousin in PA and not leave them home in the refrigerator, thus necessitating a special trip to the Wegman's near my parents.  Because my nephew will only eat the turkey and not any of the sides (including the stuffing), my sister and b-i-l are bring peppers stuffed with rice and turkey meat and covered with cheese--all the boy's favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

we haven’t done turkey in several years. it’s usually non-traditional for us, and this year will be no different.

also, we prefer to serve it as a lunch (which means that everyone gets to go home earlier, clean up is a breeze, and hubby and i can spend the rest of the day in a confused slumber).

menu for six:

ragù della domenica (braised pork chops, sausages and pork ribs with sunday sauce)

tiella di patate e funghi (potato and mushroom gratin)

pomodori gratinati (stuffed tomatoes topped with breadcrumbs)

fagiolini e patate (green bean and potato salad)

blackberry crumble pie

pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust

homemade chocolate ice cream

chocolates

tea, coffee, liqueurs

6730340C-3FBC-4CA0-8D8F-E7FCE979D945.jpeg

DA71434D-BC13-4988-9A04-D06EAF116E53.jpeg

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

I have been tasked with making a dessert. Leaning towards an apple crisp. And maybe a cake.

I didn't think of dessert. And I am out of cheese.

Thanks to my travels, planning is a bit chaotic, but it looks like I am braising rabbit in red wine, others are bringing pernil and corn soofle. I have been told to make roast potatoes and asparagus.

Is serving chopped liver as a pre-dinner nibble a Jewish thing? Or do lots of people serve some kind of pate? I was talking with a bunch of friends and everyone of them has it during cocktails (we also have pigs in blankets and sweet and sour meatballs)

Edited by bloviatrix
  • Like 1

Making like St. Anthony's Dining Room this afternoon, split off a third of the ham, half dozen yams, dozen rolls, pint cranberry sauce, two quarts chicken broth (for dressing), pkg of frozen peas and a still unset chocolate cream pie.    Son swooped by to pick up and Thanksgiving was saved for his brood.   Husband and I gleaned the fridge and did just fine.   Remainder of ham tossed in the freezer, with incantations of "Ho, Ho, Ho".    

edited to answer smallh, fortunately we were only 6 this year, so no others unduly inconvenienced. 

Edited by voyager
  • Like 1

Main course, Dungeness crabs from Aquabest. I made an elaborate spice bag, added lemon and cayenne to the water, and the result tasted like...crab. Oh, well.

IMG_1766.jpg.6bff7613507f5198aa45554e50563d71.jpg

Some of the sides: spaghetti squash, potato-flavored mashed butter, and my very first stuffing! It was too salty. But otherwise pretty good.

IMG_1765.jpg.a555ff445b3a0c5571c6e3c1a8e58296.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 9:14 AM, Wilfrid said:

I didn't think of dessert. And I am out of cheese.

Thanks to my travels, planning is a bit chaotic, but it looks like I am braising rabbit in red wine, others are bringing pernil and corn soofle. I have been told to make roast potatoes and asparagus.

The rabbit legs were sucked up. The second vast corn soofle went with my guests; I was left with the rest of the pernil.

I cut it off the bone and portioned it for the freezer. Three pounds. A lot of tacos and burritos in my future.

I did end up with a lot of cheese too and the big hit was La Retorta, a fantastic soft goat cheese in a seriously mineral rind (from Formaggio of course. Get it.).

Remembered to bring the cheeses this year!  The Cheese Parlor in Livermore provided the two hard cheeses (one kind of like a young Gouda and one like a very aged Cheddar), and Wegman's provided the crackers, Point Reyes Blue, and Delices de Bourgogne, as well as a spiced cranberry jam to go with the blue.  (My cousins provided the other accompaniments.)

Here's the menu for 13 adults and 1 child:

• To start: said cheese board, prosciutto and salami, vegetables and dip
  • Both roasted and smoked turkey.  The smoked one really came out well.  For my 8-year-old nephew who doesn't like any of the Thanksgiving sides and will pretty much only eat turkey (he doesn't like most carbs), my b-i-l made a casserole of peppers stuffed with rice and ground turkey and covered with cheese
  • Bread stuffing with sausage
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Middle Eastern-type salad with carrots, other vegetables, chickpeas, quinoa, dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds, and an orangey dressing
  • Cranberry-orange relish
  • Sweet potato casserole with streusel topping
  • Malbec to drink (I don't know if the pinot noir or zinfandel got opened)
  • Dessert: pumpkin pie, some kind of apple bake, Brooklyn blackout cake (my cousin's request from Dad after she heard that it won 2nd prize in the county fair), cookies, See's dark chocolate assortment
Edited by StephanieL
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

Remembered to bring the cheeses this year!  The Cheese Parlor in Livermore provided the two hard cheeses (one kind of like a young Gouda and one like a very aged Cheddar), and Wegman's provided the crackers, Point Reyes Blue, and Delices de Bourgogne, as well as a spiced cranberry jam to go with the blue.  (My cousins provided the other accompaniments.)

• Both roasted and smoked turkey.  The smoked one really came out well.  For my 8-year-old nephew who doesn't like any of the Thanksgiving sides and will pretty much only eat turkey (he doesn't like most carbs), my b-i-l made a casserole of peppers stuffed with rice and ground turkey and covered with cheese
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Middle Eastern-type salad with carrots, other vegetables, chickpeas, quinoa, dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds, and an orangey dressing
  • Dessert: pumpkin pie, some kind of apple bake, Brooklyn blackout cake (my cousin's request from Dad after she heard that it won 2nd prize in the county fair), cookies, See's dark chocolate assortment

That is a feast. Wow.

5 hours ago, StephanieL said:

• Mashed potatoes

Very tasty. Nothing from Cowgirl Creamery?