Anyday Cookware?

I know, I know but sometimes you have feed a kid in a hurry. 

Has anyone used these?

I'm skeptical if it's worth the cost and storage space, but I'm also steaming lots of veggies and grains, lately. 

I'm not familiar with that brand. I've received similar type micro cookware as gifts and they sit in a cupboard for years until do I  a purge and donate them. Somehow, I don't find microwaving food to be that much of a timesaver. It takes next to no time to put a steam basket in a pan, bring it to a boil and steam some veggies. And microwaved meats? No, thanks. The exception is potatoes. I often nuke a baked potato if I'm short on time, or nuke them for a minute or two before I put them in to roast, just to save time. And of course I use it to re-heat leftovers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, maison rustique said:

I'm not familiar with that brand. I've received similar type micro cookware as gifts and they sit in a cupboard for years until do I  a purge and donate them. Somehow, I don't find microwaving food to be that much of a timesaver. It takes next to no time to put a steam basket in a pan, bring it to a boil and steam some veggies. And microwaved meats? No, thanks. The exception is potatoes. I often nuke a baked potato if I'm short on time, or nuke them for a minute or two before I put them in to roast, just to save time. And of course I use it to re-heat leftovers.

I'm generally someone who makes everything from scratch when cooking for myself or guests but the current tween demands for ramen, baked potato, broccoli and microwave mac and cheese (not the delicious from scratch baked kind) are driving me insane. I'd let them cook for themselves but they hate cooking and make a mess and are also very picky about the finished product. I like that this is a pretty one pot and mess containing system but everytime I look at the price and storage problem it will create I retreat. If it made truly good rice I could justify it since the rice cooker I desire is double the price of the the 12 piece set, but the rice cooker takes up a small amount of counter space I already don't have so where would I put a bunch of new bowls and lids. Anyone want my midcentury Limoges dessert collection?

Edited by splinky
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Forgive me my innocence, but why does one need specialized microwave cookware? Won't a bowl with a plate on top (or clingwrap) do? We use our microwave mostly for quick heat/warm jobs, or for partial defrosts and haven't needed specialized cookware. Even in recent months when I've had to prepare a lot of food for somebody with unpredictable and urgent needs, it's been simple to make, say, a midnight serving of instant oatmeal in a regular bowl, or to defrost a pre-made mac&cheese (frozen in a pyrex storage container) then blast it briefly in a toaster oven.

ETA: Some of our ceramic bowls get hot in the microwave, but our Fiestaware, thick and sturdy as it is, does very well .

Edited by relbbaddoof
  • Like 1

"a bowl with a plate on top"

What we use, except as cover we invert one of those plastic bowls that many frozen entrees come in.     Husband depends on microwave for (reheated, repurposed) lunches, and I do for breakfast oatmeal, prepared as described upthread.     I remember being thoroughly excoriated for not using "proper microwave vessels" by a famous SF cookware store owner, but her interests were not necessarily mine.    We don't use plastic containers in the microwave nor any special or valuable or handcrafted pieces.    Just ordinary "white china".

I bought a two piece set to try under warranty. They look nice. I even hand washed them because I was so excited, themn I totally forgot to use them to heat dinner. I also got this nifty email, as soon as, the box was delivered.

image.thumb.png.88f0a3a85fe2d335c3f2b882ce990f9c.png

• Like 1

limited usefulness for things i like to cook in the microwave. good for things the kid would want to make but it gets so hot and there's so much steam i'd have to take it out of the microwave for her and dish it up. this morning, i used it to steam a whole potato nicely to be diced for hash browns. i'll see how it is with rice over the weekend. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 6:39 PM, splinky said:

I bought a two piece set to try under warranty. They look nice. I even hand washed them because I was so excited, themn I totally forgot to use them to heat dinner. I also got this nifty email, as soon as, the box was delivered.

image.thumb.png.88f0a3a85fe2d335c3f2b882ce990f9c.png

I mean, it's good enough for David Chang and he smiled at you on the subway. That's pretty persuasive. 

• Haha 1

I guess it reduces the opportunity for that "ouch that is really a lot of steam I didn't expect and now I have a second degree burn and a smashed plate on the floor" event, but otherwise it explains, in retrospect, the amount of time Chang was spending talking about microwave ovens a couple of years back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, backyardchef said:

I mean, it's good enough for David Chang and he smiled at you on the subway. That's pretty persuasive. 

i'm worried that's not going to be enough, in this case. ooh but that smile...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orik said:

I guess it reduces the opportunity for that "ouch that is really a lot of steam I didn't expect and now I have a second degree burn and a smashed plate on the floor" event, but otherwise it explains, in retrospect, the amount of time Chang was spending talking about microwave ovens a couple of years back. 

and of course you can cook anything in a microwave, it just might suck a lot

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

They always seem to forget that the hardest part about cooking (imo, anyway), is the sourcing, shopping, prepping, and cleaning up.  None of which get handled by the radar range.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, I gave this video 2:10 of my life, and I learned 1) David Chang makes microwaved arctic char with cauliflower rice "a couple times a week" and his "preferred way of cooking frozen fish or seafood is in the microwave."

I call bullshit on the first, unless that's all his kid will eat, or something. And has he never considered, I dunno, thawing the fish? I have done this with success!

Edited by small h
  • Haha 1

My late aunt used to sell microwaves back in the days when they were kind of new. I remember she had microwave cookbooks and could prepare elaborate cooked dinners from scratch. It never appealed to me, but I am not sure why.

Having been married to an electronics engineer way back when, even when he was in school, he was still fascinated with the radar range. So much so that he bought me one for Christmas. Let me tell you, that thing was enormous!! I kept it for years because it still worked, was nostalgic and if I had 25 cups of coffee to re-heat, I could fit all of them into it at the same time. 😂 I have many cookbooks for microwave cooking, but still only use it for re-heating for the most part. Once in a while, I'll nuke some veggies or bake a potato. But if I'd been inclined, I could have cooked a whole turkey dinner in that old one!

On 6/3/2024 at 6:09 PM, small h said:

I read the phrase "Veal Tenderloin in Beeswax" and cracked up. It sounds like a recipe created by AI.

I have to say that melting the beeswax has always been a major problem with my cooking.

• Haha 1