New York Times

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saying the New York Times is just a newspaper, is like saying the Grand Canyon is:   1. A large hole in the ground 2. David Gest's pet name for the other Liza 3. Not as good as Le Canyon Grande

Rock 'n' Roll Casualty

that's homeland security trolling for terrorists.

You'd think a piece with the title of "What Happens Just Before Show Time at the Met Opera, in 12 Rooms You'll Never See" would actually be about, you know, opera. You'd be wrong.

I'd expect it to be about green room(s), scenery storage, dressing rooms and/or costume shop, prop shop, follow-spot loft, the space under the stage elevator, the usher's dressing room, box office . . . places like that. Without which the show can't go on.

What was it about? (I don't want to bother looking, and since it seems so important to you, you must have it bookmarked.)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a basic online subscription. Today, I opened a recipe in order to save it, and found NYTimes Cooking is now subscription-based. I have 28 days left of my "free trial" to cooking, but after that, I either upgrade my basic subscription (I think from CAD$20/month to CAD$25/month, but maybe more if that additional $1.25/week was in US funds.).

I assume if I choose not to upgrade, then I lose all the recipes, from NYTimes or otherwise, I have saved to Cooking.

And if I choose not to upgrade, do I lose all access to NYTimes recipes? They are part of the NYTimes archives, so I should be able to access them without being able to save them to Cooking, shouldn't I?

I'm annoyed. And I'm so annoyed I'll probably cancel my subscription altogether and stick with just Washington Post.

Prediction: 'member when the NYT put some of its Opinion page behind a pay wall, and no one paid, so they just gave up and reverted to the old model? This will happen again. Ain't no way I'm paying for recipes, when recipes are available for free ev.ry.where.

Prediction: 'member when the NYT put some of its Opinion page behind a pay wall, and no one paid, so they just gave up and reverted to the old model? This will happen again. Ain't no way I'm paying for recipes, when recipes are available for free ev.ry.where.

Even if that happens I'll still have lost every recipe I've saved. At least I assume that's what will happen because iirc, when splinky re-subscribed after letting her subscription lapse, all her saved recipes had disappeared.

My plan is to copy any recipe I really want to keep, and then cancel my basic subscription. If I really want to, I'll still be able to read articles through other means. I get that they need to make money, but I'd be less pissed off if they had just raised the price of a subscription a few dollars. But tying a price increase specifically to a section that used to be free is shitty (not the word I want to use, but apparently the desired word has become socially unacceptable).

I only save recipes to devices I own. If I had separate collections in all of the various places I search for recipes, I'd never be able to find anything. And I'm glad the NYT didn't raise their overall subscription rate. I'm a big fan of a la carte pricing. That said, I completely understand your pissed-off-ness, and would feel the same way if I were in your situation.

(not the word I want to use, but apparently the desired word has become socially unacceptable).

Mysterious. Is this word derived from the name of a Middle Eastern country?

I was sent that same notice, but because I save any NYT recipes as a bookmark of the recipe's page in two separate bookmarking sites/apps, Diigo and LinkLocker, I haven't noticed a problem with retrieving any NYT recipes. Maybe that will change, as I might be within that 25-day free window. Can't remember when I was sent the notice.

Sure, it's not as convenient as having them all within a dedicated NYT Recipe Box, but I never used that and prefer to have all my recipes from a number of sites in one place, Diigo and LinkLocker [i know, that's 2 places, but I'm a pants and suspenders kind of gal. A bookmarking service I formerly used went belly up a year or so ago, and I don't want to lose all my bookmarks.]