Reasons to be Cheerful

10 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Another Buy Nothing win: a terra cotta roaster large enough to fit a chicken.  N has been wanting one for a while.

A romertopf?    She'll LOVE it!

• Like 1

This morning I was serenaded by northern cardinals, house sparrows, house finches, brown-headed cowbirds, American robin, ruby-throated hummingbird and common nighthawk.

The hummer and a couple of squirrels put in personal appearances. They were too hungry to wait for me to go inside. As you'll notice, the severe storms that we've had in the mid-west this Spring have been very hard on my furniture covers. I had to throw out some that were completely destroyed by hail and wind, but if that is the worst damage, I can live with it.

image.thumb.png.54d6ea29d0d9ea694540dfefbd30c6f3.png

It will be beautiful weather today until evening when more severe storms head into the area. My sisters and BIL are coming and we will go decorate family graves since the rest of the weekend is supposed to be wet.

My morning songsters included some newbies again. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Great-crested Flycatcher, who need to get busy because it is really buggy out there, are new to my immediate area. Singing along were Northern Cardinals, ?House Sparrows, American Crows, Brown-headed Cowbirds and Carolina Wrens.

I'm working to downsize and get this place listed soon. I will certainly miss my Wildlife Diner patrons when I move. 

I don't think I posted here about the other day. I was driving down the highway. An Indigo Bunting flew down just to the right of me on the center line and sat there briefly. First time I have actually seen one, though I have picked up their songs at home a few times lately. Their electric blue color is just stunning.

Then, on the way back on the same highway, either a crane or heron flew down low to look at me, dip a wing, then take off.

When those things happen, I feel like I'm being sent a message of some sort by the PTB.

Yesterday we visited cemeteries to decorate family graves. We did an abbreviated version this year since so many of us have health issues right now and stamina is low. At any rate, while at one of the Independence cemeteries, we pulled up to our family plot and there was a beautiful fox running across the way toward a wooded area. I didn't have my phone out yet to get a photo. Then a bit later I observed a cardinal flying around from one gravestone to another. As many believe that viewing cardinals are loved ones visiting from the other side, it was a  sweet thing to see in a cemetery.

Making dinner - not sure what wine to serve with it so I text my wine guy who responds with a suggestion based on my collection within minutes. I am so spoiled and lucky to have found someone who takes care of me like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

No, you making some of those up 😂Where the four-feather finches and the willow wanderers?

I use the wonderful and free Merlin ID app from Cornell, so if they are fictional, blame them. 😆 I do often wonder where they come up with the names for some birds. There are some crazy ones out there.

I also think that all the storm activity/climate change has brought many new birds to our area either temporarily or permanently--time will tell.

• Like 1

When I was in Bridgeport I used to identify birds by describing them to Goole search. It usually worked, but an app would have been easier. Or I posted a photo on Instagram and waited for GG Mora to tell me the name.

If you're looking for a place to visit, I strongly recommend Ithaca. Both the Sapsucker Woods and the Cornell Botanical Gardens are beautiful. Great state parks. Good green markets. Lots of wineries on the west side of the lake.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

If you're looking for a place to visit, I strongly recommend Ithaca. Both the Sapsucker Woods and the Cornell Botanical Gardens are beautiful. Great state parks. Good green markets. Lots of wineries on the west side of the lake.

Good to know! I have in-laws in Rochester. I was planning to ship the family mantel clock to them, but maybe I need to plan a driving trip in the fall. I could take the clock, visit Ithaca and try to relax a bit. I love driving trips and I already know that area is gorgeous in autumn.

Much to be cheerful about today...

First of all, NBA play-offs begin tonight. I hope the Celtics haven't gotten rusty while waiting!

Secondly, while Kansas City was one of the first Google Fiber installation cities, our little Liberty (about 2 miles from KC) was one of the last. It is finally ready. I ordered it up yesterday and they will install on the 18th--it will cut my monthly costs by about $60. Since they do not offer TV now, I also ordered a free trial of YouTube TV, which I am watching local news on at the moment. Took me a minute to figure it out, but I think I've got it now. As of right now with the little TV I watch, I have not seen any channel I can't get that I would miss.

And I was greeted this morning by House Sparrows, Carolina Wrens, Tufted Titmice, Northern Cardinals, Mourning Doves and Northern Mockingbirds.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:32 AM, bloviatrix said:

Ithaca is gorges.