New York Times

Re: NYTimes paywall

It used to be that you could read 10 articles per month for free. Plenty of ways around that (I normally use Twitter and Digg as newsfeeds, so I can open unlimited links through those), but just today, I found that I can only read 5 articles before having to log in to the website. Only then can I read my 5 remaining free articles. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if once I log in, the website will keep track of how many articles my account has accessed, and then limit me to only 10 free articles per account. That would bite.

• Like 1
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saying the New York Times is just a newspaper, is like saying the Grand Canyon is:   1. A large hole in the ground 2. David Gest's pet name for the other Liza 3. Not as good as Le Canyon Grande

Rock 'n' Roll Casualty

that's homeland security trolling for terrorists.

I only use private browsing (at work), and even with private browsing it only wants me to read 5 articles and then log in. I haven't tried it with regular browsing, yet.

Yesterday it was fine. Today, it's not. It might have something to do with my ISP being in Canada. I noticed in the pop up for me to log in, it offered me CA $1 for four weeks of subscription, then 50% off after that. Normally, the prices I get for subscription offers are in US$.

If I close this private browsing window, I can read 5 more articles, but it's a pita to close and open a new window every 5 articles. I liked my old system better where I could open as many links as I wanted with nary a blink from them.

I only use private browsing (at work), and even with private browsing it only wants me to read 5 articles and then log in. I haven't tried it with regular browsing, yet.

Yesterday it was fine. Today, it's not. It might have something to do with my ISP being in Canada. I noticed in the pop up for me to log in, it offered me CA $1 for four weeks of subscription, then 50% off after that. Normally, the prices I get for subscription offers are in US$.

If I close this private browsing window, I can read 5 more articles, but it's a pita to close and open a new window every 5 articles. I liked my old system better where I could open as many links as I wanted with nary a blink from them.

They changed it about a week ago. Part of trying to get more granular control on what they give away (or, some would contend, a way to give Facebook an edge as you can still get unlimited reads when you come from there vs google)

The Times is one of several major news sources negotiating to have Facebook host its content on FB's platform, so you won't need to come to the Times' site from Facebook.

Not completely up to date on how the deal is shaking out, and the details of how it will be monetized. But it will make the paywall kind of moot. For FB users.

I haven't been having that problem at home (where I'm always logged in to the NYTimes site). At home I open links from either Digg or Twitter, and have never had a problem.

BUT, when I try to open links through FB, if I've already read at least 10 articles (by clicking a link from any website, not just FB), I'll get the paywall "You have read more than xx articles" and it will ask me to subscribe.

It's always been like that, though, not just now.

For some reason, I can no longer read Digg at work (it's not compatible with whatever version of IE we're up to now), and since I can't open links through Digg, I don't know if the same problem is happening. Social network sites (Twitter, FB, etc) are blocked at work, so I can't try opening links through those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The battle for platform hosting is becoming exceptionally fierce. I'm seeing limits on places when I use my Yahoo news server. The Washington Post remains free and unlimited when I use my Amazon tablet (Bezos owns the paper), but costs $$ otherwise.

FaceBook, Google, Amazon, Yahoo, it's a jungle out there...

The NYT magazine VR piece this weekend was great - it was an astonishingly engaging piece of reporting. I would highly recommend taking a look.

The "making of" for the older magazine cover is highly worth watching too - the segment with the helicopter was jaw-dropping.

I'm glad I didn't toss my Google Cardboard - I hadn't gotten any use out of it in some time until today.