What are you watching?

hollywood10

"The Fall Guy" is a nearly plotless rom-com with lots of stunts and lots of mayhem much of it filmed in Australia.  Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt have fun.  There's some superficial meta stuff about movie making.  Tom Cruise (not in the picture) is appropriately disrespected.  Good popcorn flick.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hollywood said:

"The Fall Guy" is a nearly plotless rom-com with lots of stunts and lots of mayhem much of it filmed in Australia.  Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt have fun.  There's some superficial meta stuff about movie making.  Tom Cruise (not in the picture) is appropriately disrespected.  Good popcorn flick.

But tell us what we really want to know. Lee Majors cameo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

"Back to Black"  This Amy Winehouse biopic seems undernourished, sort of a paint by numbers telling of events in her short life.  Marisa Abela is fine as Amy.  The score was co-produced by Nick Cave.

Edited by hollywood

This new season of Hacks is very good, but it's leaning more and more towards the Ted Lasso thing of being sad and touching and showing people's vulnerabilities. There are enough laughs to make up for that, but it's hard to think of it as simply a comedy.

I can date that tendency back to the first episode, in the way that Debra is introduced: We see her onstage, successful, adored, busy. And then we see her in her palatial home, with no company but her dogs.

Come to think of it, Ted Lasso telegraphed this as well in its first episode. In the last scene, we see Ted communicating with his young son and learn that his marriage is falling apart.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Got a copy of Back to the Future from the library - nobody is streaming it. Still so good. Kid loved it and wants to see the next two - which aren't nearly as enjoyable. Now I'm going to get tix for the musical. I'm having so much fun revisiting all these great movies of my youth.

Edited by bloviatrix

A little off-topic, but it sort of fits here. Vinyl is collectible/popular again. Are VHS tapes collectible? The husband bought VHS movies/TV series for a long time, then the same with DVDs. I'm getting rid of 99.9% of it. I suspect I can donate the DVDs, but do I just toss VHS tapes? I've got boxes of 45s to sell somewhere. And still a couple of boxes or so of albums (He sold a few hundred a few years ago.). And will likely get rid of most of the CDs.

Depending on the actual program/movie, some of those tapes/DVDs (especially boxed sets) are worth much more than their original prices. And if they are still unopened, in the 10s of thousands of dollars.

https://www.kiplinger.com/personal-finance/how-to-save-money/old-vhs-movies

So, a little time spent on Google, Etsy or EBay checking some of what you[ve got could end up being profitable.

• Thanks 1

I watched the first episode of the 4-part Stax: Soulsville USA on HBO last night.  Such great music.  Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, even though I know the story ends on a depressing note.

Fun fact: my first exposure to Booker T & the MGs was the original Blues Brothers movie--Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn are part of the band.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 3:24 PM, StephanieL said:

I watched the first episode of the 4-part Stax: Soulsville USA on HBO last night.  Such great music.  Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, even though I know the story ends on a depressing note.

Fun fact: my first exposure to Booker T & the MGs was the original Blues Brothers movie--Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn are part of the band.

On 5/22/2024 at 6:17 AM, small h said:

I spent half a day at the Stax museum in Memphis a few years ago, and I could've stayed for a week. Looking forward to watching this.

Stax is a massive influence on me. I got the box set of the complete Stax singles collection when I was maybe 14 or so and have spent my years devouring all of it. Memphis is home to Ardent Studios and so much amazing music history has come through there including personal heroes like Big Star. One of our finest recording studios and it is virtually forgotten. This documentary hit me in the feels hard. 

Edited by backyardchef

5 minutes ago, backyardchef said:

so much amazing music history has come through there including personal heroes like Big Star.

I loved Big Star so much, and Alex Chilton was great. Only got to see him once, actually at (if I recall correctly) Under Acme.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MitchW said:

I loved Big Star so much, and Alex Chilton was great. Only got to see him once, actually at (if I recall correctly) Under Acme.

Alex is a gigantic hero of mine. I could rhapsodize, but will spare you. I was fortunate to see him multiple times at original Knitting Factory, Under Acme and with Big Star at Tramps. I first saw Alex on my 14th birthday and lost my virginity the same night. He holds a special place in my heart. 

I thought you were gonna spare us! 

We were probably at the same show at Under Acme.  I remember seeing some amazing shows at the old Knitting Factory on Leonard, but I don't think Alex (though I did see Lou there!).

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

With Below Deck over, Hacks over and SNL done for now, I was panicking.

Fortunately the first episode of season 9 of Below Deck Mediterranean has arrived.

Can't you just continuously watch Hinds' videos?

Edited by MitchW
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, small h said:

We are also pretty much out of shows. Just sitting around waiting for The Bear to come back at this point.

I was thrilled to see Ayo on the new Vanity Fair cover and I admire her so much. But I still don’t like the show.