Supper

small h

10 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Marcella beans with Italian sausage in arrabbiata sauce. New recipe for me and it was a hit. This is all that's left. I won't tell you how much there was to begin with but it was a lot.

Kishor Viognier Galilee 2019 to drink.

IMG_5634.JPEG

That looks wonderful. Is that pepperoni?

Made some Spanish rice, with a bit of chorizo and a few Shitake mushrooms I had in the fridge.

IMG_1469(1).jpeg.76bd86e1ccbc9b774057cf76d95f29b4.jpeg

Also had some beautiful Hokkaido scallops and wild Gulf shrimp.

IMG_1471(1).jpeg.47399190d55db5a5c32a6d45ff4480a1.jpeg

Both got the hot pan treatment.

IMG_1472(1).jpeg.f1571d1713f050a06b1fae2b1015fc7e.jpeg

Served them both over the rice, along with Frenched green beans, prepared in my usual style (i.e. : butter, olive oil, stock).

• Like 2

I have had so much pickled souse in the freezer. I had been buying different brands and even shapes. Just finished the last two slices tonight, served on crisp toast dotted with mustard, thin cucumber slices as a garnish. 

It was great but I am thinking of a few months away from souse, scrapple and head cheese. Maybe some pheasant or squab or veal. Even a steak.

Or I could get some pig bung from Chinatown and stuff it with scrapple.

I’ll figure it out.

Now pursuing my resolution to not just eat pork fat, a big fat skate wing from HMart (this is only half of it); okay, cooked in bacon fat and butter.

The wine, a remarkable artisanal and “natural” Lambrusco, dry and cloudy and juicy. Bergianti San Vincent (from Rosenthal).

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

• Like 1

Ate the other half of the gigantic skate wing, no pork fat involved.

@StephanieL You remind me of Pancake Tuesday when I was a kid. I learned to flip them in the pan and that is why I can still flip pancakes, omelettes and similar. Yes, one in ten lands on the floor but mostly the skill impresses people.

• Like 1

Dry pot. I was pretty happy with this - not far off from restaurant versions I've had - but I went through a whole spice oil rigamarole that involved about 8,000 ingredients and had to be simmered for :30 and then cooled. And as far as I could tell, it added nothing to the finished product. In the future, I’ll just use chili paste, garlic, ginger and Sichuan peppercorns. And be done with it.

dry pot

• Like 1